Databricks as Data Platform
Category: Data Platform
Tags: platform, architecture decision, databricks
For data mesh, a self-serve data platform is required.
We don’t want to build this completely by outselves, but want to tailor an existing data platform to our data mesh needs.
We use Microsoft Azure for our operational systems. We are a regulated company in the finance sector. We rely heavily on Tableau for our reports.
We use Azure Databricks as our central data platform, similiar to the tech stack described on datamesh-architecture.com.
- Business partner is Microsoft, no separate contract with Databricks, Inc required.
- Expected costs: XXX USD/month
- A data platform teams needs to manage the Databricks account(s).
- Software developers will mostly write transformations as notebooks using PySpark, SQL or Scala
- Azure Synapse Analytics
- Snowflake deployed on Azure
- There is a well-managed Terraform provider for Databricks available to setup infrastructure: https://registry.terraform.io/providers/databricks/databricks/latest/docs