Data Mesh Governance / Policies / Discoverability / Data Catalog
AWS Glue Data Catalog as Data Catalog for Data Products
We use AWS S3 as Storage for Data Products and AWS Athena as Query Engine.
Athena already forces us to define table structure in the metastore AWS Glue Data Catalog.
How can we register data products in a central place for other teams to discover and understand data products?
We use AWS Glue Data Catalog as catalog for data products.
We use a central AWS governance account that hosts the data catalog that links to data that lives in domain team’s AWS account.
- One AWS accounts has exactly one AWS Glue Data Catalog
- One Data Catalog can contain multiple databases
- One database can contain multiple tables
- A table refers to an S3 data store that lives in a domain team’s AWS account
- The AWS Glue Data Catalog is basically a Hive Metastore, with all its limitations
- Only data products that live inside AWS cloud and are supported by the AWS Glue Data Catalog can be indexed.
- Databases and tables defined in AWS Glue Data Catalog are also available in AWS Lake Formation for further data governance capabilities
- AWS Glue Data Catalog search capabilities are limited, e.g. cannot search for tables tagged with a specific property, such as
- An AWS Glue API is available for further automation
- A third party data catalog
- A Wiki page listing data products
- Use AWS EventBridge to propagate catalog entries, resources and permissions to the central governance account.