Data Mesh Governance / Policies / Interoperability / File Format
Parquet File Format
Platform: Databricks, Azure Synapse Analytics, Generic Data Lake
Data products are stored as files on Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 (Data Product Storage).
To ensure interoperability and consistent usage patterns, we want to agree on a common file format.
We assume that data products frequently will be combined across domains.
We use Apache Parquet for data products.
- Low storage and IO costs
- Fast querying and processing
- Software engineers need to learn Parquet file format.
- Append only
- binary -> efficient storage -> IO optimized
- column-oriented -> efficient JOIN operations
- (limited) meta data included
- Follow-Up Questions
- How to document the schema?
- Timestamp format
- How to model mutable data (like master and reference data)?
- All major data platforms come with Parquet support out of the box
- Automated testing: Query all data products periodically and try to deserialize latest file