Data Mesh Governance / Policies / Isolation / Environments
Multiple Isolated Environments
We need a place where we can develop and test data products before going to production.
We are not allowed to access production data for developing and testing purposes.
We have multiple isolated environments:
- DEV for data product development. No guarantees on SLOs and data quality of other data products.
- TEST / INT / UAT / STAGING / PRE-PROD for integration tests with curated sample data.
- PROD for production with SLOs and data contracts applied.
The environments are structurally identical.
- The data platform needs to provide these isolated environments
- Data product developers need to deploy their data products on all environments
- Data product owners need to make sure that good-enough sample data is available in TEST environment for meaningful integration tests
- Specific test-data requirements are defined in the data contract
- Shape (number of rows, statistical distribution of values, null-fields) must be similar to PROD
- Data contracts are also necessary for DEV and TEST for access control and lineage.
- The platform uses GitOps to provide structurally identical platforms
- Data product developers use GitOps to deploy data products on each environment
- Test data can be derived from production data using appropriate tools, provided that the data is appropriately processed (e.g. anonymized)
- Automatic approval of data contract requests on DEV and TEST